Sunday, June 22, 2014

Writing Micro Questionnaire

Good evening,

 My friend Megan tagged me in an online questionnaire meme-thing, so let's skip straight to the business!

What are you working on?

The short answer is, depending on the day, not enough or too much. The long answer is a novel that I've promised to The Alchemy Press tentatively called "Legacy." This was originally going to be a short story, as teased in my interview with AP last year, but I made it too complex for an 8000-word story and I'm fixing to make it into a full novel.

Otherwise, I'm working on an array of short stories, any freelance projects that come my way through Elance (my last assignment was back in March), and articles for the arts-and-culture magazine Archenemy.

How does your work differ from others in its genre?

In a lot of ways, my stories are send-ups to things about genre fiction that I enjoy, including bizarre monsters, over-the-top fight scenes, and weirdly endearing characters, and it's something that I try to emulate. Beyond that, I'd have to say I like the idea of selective irreverence, or the idea of targeting everyone and everything I can in a story, from prejudices and morals to people and their quirks, and poking it under the ribs until I decide when to stop. Often, I feel like this gets me in trouble, and probably explains why so many of my stories are unpublished, but it's still something I want to perfect.

Why do you write what you do?

Boredom? Actually, it's because I was a sickly, unpopular child with asthma and a baker's dozen of learning disabilities and often found myself retreating into flights of fancy in order to escape from reality. Later, I found that I had a taste for it, and upon realizing more and more that storytelling and art is an integral part of human existence, decided to perfect my storytelling ability. 

How does your writing process work?

In the beginning, I would just make up a story as I went along, coming up with scenes and names and not knowing what to do with them. These days, I tend to throw together an outline first and then build the story around it. I still begin at random intervals, though, because usually I have a set idea that I want to put on paper (or .doc file, as it were) first before I proceed. Sometimes I begin with a fight scene or a piece of dialogue. Very rarely do I begin writing at the beginning.

Thanks!

 If anyone wants to do this, you're free to. Usually people are tagged, but I'd rather leave it as an open invitation to whomever wants to do this. Enjoy!

See you next time,

RWI

No comments:

Post a Comment